Sunday, June 28, 2009

My New Tent

I went to REI yesterday and bought myself a new tent and a bear canister. Unfortunately, my old tent is pretty much useless, I broke one of the poles and the fabric is covered with mildew. I bought the Quarter Dome one person tent by REI. It's an interesting shelter, and it's definitely made for only one person. It's also very light weight and affordable which is the reason I bought it.


I practiced setting it up today in my living room. I'm going to need a little more practice before hitting the trail, since it took me a while to figure it out. I was debating today whether to go ultra light and just bring the rain fly, poles, and footprint. After setting it up that way, it seemed to provide adequate shelter. After talking to my friend Pete on the phone, he suggested that I probably would want the tent body to keep out insects. After surviving a year and a half in N.C. with open shelters I didn't think it would be a big deal. On second thought, however, the weight I would save without the tent body seemed minimal. As of now, I intend to use all the tent parts.




I went for a short hike in Griffith Park again this evening. It seems there is always something interesting to see. Today I happened to walk past this very colorful bird. At first I thought it must be some sort of rare species. Then I realized the bird was not at all scared of me and allowed me to get very close to take a picture. I think it was someone's parakeet that either escaped or was let free.






1 comment:

  1. You have really nice tent!! Love it so much!! I have seen awesome variety of tents and other accessories at Bass Pro Shops...

    ReplyDelete