I'm back in the town of Idyllwild, the place where this long journey began five months ago, preparing to leave tomorrow for the last 175 miles south to Campo. I'm slightly perplexed about how excited I feel to be heading back into the mountains and begin hiking once again. Wasn't five months enough already? Three days in San Diego was enough to realize that I'm not all that excited to return back to the civilized life. Unfortunately, every time has its season, and this adventure will be coming to a close real soon. Until then, happy trails!
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Well, my PCT journey is not quite over yet. I've decided to finish the 170 miles of trail that I missed in the beginning, Campo to Idyllwild. Why, you may ask? Well, I've heard many horror stories of hikers who attempted a thru hike, were unable to finish for one reason or another, and something in their head told them to hike it all over again. One hiker I met had finished over 2500 miles of the trail, but was snowed out at the end a couple of years ago. Instead of finishing the small section that was left, something inside told him to hike the whole thing all over again! I can't let that happen!
Most likely I will hit the trail this weekend and hike from north to south. In the mean time, getting some R&R in rainy San Diego feels quite nice today...
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Unfortunately, this is the end of the line as far as photos from Mark go that are in my possession. He sent a disk a couple weeks ago that my card reader can't access, so we're left now only to wait for Mark to fill in the blanks from Crater Lake, OR to Canada.
Hope you enjoyed checking in on the hike through Mark's photography, and we welcome him now back to civilization!
Friday, October 15, 2010
Just wanted to check in real fast from the C&N Hostel in Vancouver Canada. Indie and I reached the Canadian border on October 13th around 12:30pm! It was an amazing finish, and now I am in the process of making my way back to SOCAL. I'll write more when I have more time. Until then, talk to you all soon!
In case you're wondering, we haven't heard yet whether Mark has crossed the finish line north of the border. Last I heard he speculated they'd finish on the 11th. Whether the delay is because of difficult terrain, weather or lack of internet/cell access in Canada, we don't yet have definitive word on the status of the final push. One of our brothers speculates he's been detained at the border crossing due to his suspicious, terrorist-looking beard. Whatever the case, we'll report as soon as we hear anything unless Mark beats us first to the blog.