Saturday, October 5, 2013

Breckenridge CO to Buena Vista: CDT 2013

"Aren't you a little late?"

This is the number one question that followed Indie and I up the Pacific Crest Trail in 2010 and the number one question that seems to be following Manparty, Lush, Captain, and I down the CDT this year. It has been asked by fellow thru hikers, day hikers, mountain bikers, business owners, and curious passers by. Granted, we are the last southbound hikers on trail this year, in front of only one other solo southbounder named Columbus.

I'd say we are right where we want to be. The aspens and the recently fallen snow have made for a visual feast as of late. The snow has created challenges unthinkable a couple weeks ago. Every mountain has become a sort of "right of passage." I didn't understand the infatuation some people have with aspen trees until this week. The combination of blue sky, cool breeze, golden yellow leaves, mixed with orange and lime green, with snow covered peaks in the background has been almost too much to take in.  For any nature lover, I'd recommend visiting a Colorado aspen grove in October on your bucket list.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, when ever I hear about the snow falling in the Rockies, I think it must be giving you fits. Maybe the Aspen do make up for it. Never saw the ones in Colorado, but I did spend a fall in Utah. And we do have our own little aspen grove in southern California!

    Good luck the rest of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are well, Flyboxer. It sounds like you have good folks around you and a positive attitude to get you all through. Aspen are beautiful, aren't they? Don't listen to the naysayers- Pyrite and I are thinking of you! - Chinchilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Skyhiker, I never knew we had an aspen grove in SOCAL! We are supposed to get another small snowstorm in the next couple of days. I think I am ready for New Mexico.

    Chinchilla, good to hear from you and Pyrite! Yes, I have some good folks around me at the moment, we are enjoying ourselves the best we can. Good luck to you two in New Mexico. Hope to be there soon...

    ReplyDelete