Monday, February 20, 2017

Calvert Cliffs: Chesapeake Bay








It's been over 15 years since I last visited Calvert Cliffs along the Chesapeake Bay. It's amazing how much I didn't remember about the place. I didn't remember the crowds, the 1.8 mile hike to the beach, the large parking area, the playground equipment, the small beach, the offshore natural gas shipping terminal.

We've had a beautiful, warm, President's Day weekend. I visited Calvert Cliffs on Saturday. I guess due to the nice weather, lots of other folks also decided to visit. Temperatures were probably near 70 degrees, much cooler and windier along the beach. I like to do a lot of my hiking and exploring alone, and I wouldn't recommend this hike if you are looking for some solitude, unless you explore some of the side trails. This is a great hike for families, couples, and groups of friends. I was disappointed how small the beach was, the cliffs fenced off to the public. Basically everyone gets herded into an area smaller than a football field. One of the highlights is searching for fossils and sharks teeth which date from the Miocene Period. While the Miocene ranged from 24.6 to 5.1 million years ago, most of the fossils found at Calvert Cliffs date from eight to 11 million years ago. Last time I was here, I remember finding several sharks teeth. Not this time unfortunately.

Overall, I think Calvert Ciffs is worth the visit, just keep in mind that you will be sharing it with lots of other people. The 1.8 mile hike to the beach was flat and easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment