Saturday, November 17, 2018

First Snow of the Season






We had our first measurable snowfall of the season in the DC area on Thursday, the first measurable snow in November since 1989. The storm was worse than predicted, enough to close schools for the day all around the area. We had a couple inches of snow before it turned into a sloppy rain/freezing rain/sleet around noon.

I took a hike in the morning since schools were closed, while the snow was still falling. I've been hiking this little stretch of the Northwest Branch since I was a kid, and these humble woods always impress me year after year. Thursday was an exciting day because it was the first time I've ever seen a bald eagle along this particular section. I spotted two bald eagles last year further up the creek, so I knew there was a possibility. The eagles seem to be recovering and doing well in Maryland...

No comments:

Post a Comment