Saturday, December 8, 2018

Harpers Ferry

Appalachian Trail

Jefferson Rock and the Shenandoah River

Blue bird

walking down into town

Point where the Shenandoah and Potomac River converge

Turkey Tail fungi
Once or twice a month I drive about an hour and a half out to Harpers Ferry to play some old time music and get a mountain fix. I think I've entered one of the most sedentary chapters of my life, and have not been hiking much at all lately. I could feel it this past weekend. I decided to hike an easy two mile (if that) loop from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy headquarters, down into Harpers Ferry, and then around along the Shenandoah River to the bridge and back up to the headquarters. My legs were wobbly and my left knee ached.

That being said, it felt great to step foot on the Appalachian Trail again, as it always does. The first half hour, my mind always plays an game on me. It's always an emotional experience of excitement, dreams of grandeur, thoughts on how to quit my job, etc. etc. As the pain of walking begins to kick in, the reality also sets in and it pushes out the foolish thoughts with more realistic ones. I'm not going on any long hikes anytime soon...

2 comments: