Monday, September 30, 2019

Raven Rocks: Appalachian Trail

Hiking north on the AT


View from Raven Rocks
Over the weekend I went to the Brunswick Old Time Weekend at the B Chord Brewery in Round Top Virginia. It's a small gathering of old time musicians who get together and camp and play music for a few days. The gathering was held in a field owned by the B chord brewery. The beer is delicious and the tunes were great. An unexpected benefit of attending the event was being informed that the Raven Rocks trailhead was located just over a mile from the brewery. After camping out Saturday night at the music festival, Sunday morning, I decided to hit the trailhead before the jamming started again.

The hike was a nice 5.8 mile round trip, with a nice outcropping with a view as the reward. Having done very little hiking in recent days, I was kind of surprised how enjoyable this hike was. I started around 8:00am, I went slow, the trail is rocky and can seem somewhat steep at times, but not bad at all. Leaves were turning colors, especially on the ridge. Temps were unusually warm again. The trail is popular from what I could gather, and the lot was full of cars by the time I finished the hike around 11:00...

No comments:

Post a Comment