Friday, March 27, 2020

Spring in Maryland 2020: We Live in Interesting Times


































We live in interesting times. Spring has arrived here in Maryland. It's a strange paradox compared to what's happening in our world. With all of the news about COVID-19, shutdowns, stock market crashes, quarantines, social distancing, suddenly our reality has changed drastically. My school, and schools across the state closed their doors a couple weeks ago and will continue to do so until April 24th, and probably later. An overwhelming feeling of dread that I was feeling a couple weeks ago is slowly subsiding to a new normal, where the feeling comes and goes in waves now. Many of us are self quarantining, or social distancing, staying inside our homes and trying to make the best of it.

Some of my favorite local trails that have been a refuge, suddenly feel dangerous. With all of the shutdowns, more people are flocking to trails and forests for relief, for physical and mental health reasons, and perhaps out of boredom. I definitely can't blame them. I do the same. Personally, I still need my forest time, so I try to be strategic about it now and don't go as often. There are a couple of spots where I know I will see very few people, so that's where I go now. All of that being said, it's the best time of year in my opinion. Spring is here, wildflowers and cherry trees are blooming, the forest is greening, the sunlight is increasing in length and intensity, temperatures are rising. I think the forest is still a great place to go during these times, as long as we all follow social distancing protocol. In fact, the forest feels more important than ever right now. Anyhow, here are some pictures of spring around the area the last couple of months. Stay safe out there, and stay strong...

No comments:

Post a Comment