Saturday, September 11, 2021

Tully Lake Afternoon Exploration: Sierra Nevada
















 After setting up camp at Tully Lake, there was still several hours until dinner. I still felt a little uneasy about hiking cross country off trail (too many past screw ups) so I wanted to get familiar with the map that Moosie gave Camo and I to use. The area we were planning on hiking in the next couple days looked simple enough, the woman who suggested it also said it wasn't too difficult, but I needed a little more assurance. So I grabbed the map and my water bottle, and decided to do a little exploring around the lake area surrounding Tully Lake, and make out some landmarks on the map. I had a great time looking around for a couple hours, "witnessing" several small lakes in the area, some trees and plants, and looking at the granite. 

Too many times, I have made the map read what I want it too, and not what it actually is. In hindsite, unfortunately, my afternoon exploring produced the same results. Some of the lakes I found during my trek were not what I thought they were. Thankfully, the terrain was gentle enough where it didn't really matter in the grand scheme, but it was another reminder to use caution in the wilderness.

I met Camo for dinner at our camp at Tully Lake. Rain showers entered the area. By evening, we noticed the wind had shifted, blowing in from the north. We saw a bright half moon become obscured by fast moving clouds. Again, a smoky smell entered the valley...


No comments:

Post a Comment