Thursday, November 4, 2021

Upper McGee Lake Afternoon Exploration: Sierra Nevada




Upper McGee Lake


Canyon Exploration





Camp for the night at Big McGee Lake


Camo soaking in views after dinner

View of Big McGee Lake from camp.

 Continuation of a trip to the Sierra Nevada in August:

Camo and I reached Big McGee Lake in the mid afternoon after hiking back over McGee Pass from Izaak Walton Lake. Camo took a nap after getting to camp. I decided to explore a bit. So I had a couple hours to look around before I'd meet Camo back at camp for dinner. I really wanted to see some more plants and wildflowers since so much had been dried up due to drought. There were plants and flowers growing along stream banks if they weren't dried up already. There was one stream I wanted to explore that led up to Upper McGee lake through a canyon. Wildflowers are like songs. I get nostalgia seeing certain ones, they transport me back in time to other places on the trail where I saw them in the past. There wasn't a huge variety of flowers to look at this time around, but the afternoon exploring did the soul some good. The views were fantastic, the lake was peaceful, and the bushwhack hike was strenuous but satisfying.

After returning to camp in the evening, Camo and I enjoyed dinner and the light off the granite peaks once again. A steady breeze picked up after dinner. By late evening, some of the smoke was already blowing out of the valley once again...

No comments:

Post a Comment