Monday, July 29, 2019

Hiking the C&O: Day 11 (June 30, 2019)

Low humidity morning



Someone sending positive vibes





Big oak

towpath passing through backyards

Last hiker/biker site of the trip
I slept pretty good after the severe thunderstorms left the area and had positive dreams. I woke up to a beautiful, breezy, sunny, low humidity day. My goal was to only hike 12 miles to the last hiker biker campsite near mile 180. I took it real slow in the morning breaking down camp. Making breakfast, coffee, taking a quick swim in the river. I finally started hiking close to 11:00. My feet were in terrible condition. Blister bad. I hobbled most of the day. The weather was great though, reminded me of a Colorado summer morning.

I crossed paths with a park volunteer near midday. He said he rarely sees backpackers anymore on the C&O. Mostly bikers and day hikers.

I ate lunch in a nice quiet park along the river. I enjoyed the nice farm and mountain scenery once I resumed walking. As I was getting close to my destination for the day, the towpath literally took me through people's backyards. I passed an elderly couple sitting outside, enjoying the summer afternoon. A nice warm breeze rustled through their cottonwood tree. Their neighbors had a nice swimming pool filled with cold blue water. It looked so inviting.

Finally I made it to the campsite. No one else was there. Only 4 more miles and the hike was over. I booked a hotel room in Cumberland for the next night at the Ramada after eating dinner. It was a nice evening, birds chirping, still a nice breeze, and the occasional train passing on the other side of the canal...

No comments:

Post a Comment