Saturday, July 20, 2019

Hiking the C&O: Day 9 (June 28, 2019)






Nice spot for lunch and a swim








Lots of interesting plants growing on rock walls




Had a deep and dream filled sleep. One thing I was grateful for on this hike was peaceful dreams. Often on hikes, my dreams will be very vivid some nights, and can be very bizarre and sometimes disturbing. I don't know if it's common among other hikers, but on the AT, my hiking friend Camo experienced the same thing. It was always a source of entertainment to hear in the morning if anyone had a nightmare.

Had another slow start out of camp. I was back on the towpath around 9:00. My body was feeling pretty good overall, but my feet were becoming really sore at this point, as blisters were forming under the medical tape. The towpath is composed of tiny rocks in most places, and the 20 mile days, along with the constant pebble walking was taking a toll. Also, mosquitoes were really bad in spots again. Since I had no bug spray, I had to resort to wearing my bug netting over my face and my rain jacket on in 85-90 degree heat. Thankfully the towpath is mostly shaded which kept the heat lower. When I could take it no more, I had to take the rain jacket off. Thankfully the bugs came in waves, and I seemed to be able to escape them if I was next to the river.

Mid morning I ran into an interesting site. About 8 male horseback riders with giant flags. I asked them what they were doing. They said they were horseback riding down the C&O and were going to march in the 4th of July parade in D.C. "We're cowboys for TRUMP, and we're marching to support our president..."

I was happy to be hiking in the opposite direction.

After that, the rest of the morning was a daze. I found I real nice spot for lunch, a nice bend in the river surrounded by mountains. Unfortunately, someone on the West Virginia side also knew it was a good spot and pulled up in a camper with his family making all sorts of noise. Before I finished eating the man plugged in his radio and was blasting cheesy 80's rock with reverberated all throughout the river valley. At least the view was nice.

By afternoon, a quick thunderstorm rolled in overhead. No rain, just a few sprinkles and some lightning and thunder. Eventually I made it to the hiker biker campground at mile 149 called Stickpile Hill. I took another bath in the river before cooking dinner. I was the only one there for the night and again enjoyed watching all the fireflies before falling to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment