Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas Eve Camping (Assateague Island)



Surf Scoter


Sunset





Cold Windy Evening

Blood Red Moon rising above the Atlantic Ocean

Christmas Eve morning moon

Christmas Eve sunrise


camp


Variegation in Loblolly Pine?


No trip to Assateague would be complete without a wild pony sighting
Merry Christmas! It's been a stressful school year and now that winter break is here, I had to get at least one night of camping in. I decided to head back to Assateague Island on December 23rd and camp one night. Since the government has shut down yet again, I was awarded an unexpected Christmas gift. The park remained open, but no fees were collected as all extra services were closed. My campground only had one other family braving the elements.

I arrived late in the afternoon and only had a couple hours before the sunset around 4:45pm. It was cold and windy, but I dressed in plenty of layers to fight off the cold. While cooking dinner, a blood red, near full moon rose above the Atlantic Ocean. Sleep came easy, and rain arrived in the middle of the night, with showers off and on for several hours.

I woke up about an hour before sunrise, and walked along the beach for about an hour during dusk. It was a treat to watch the sunrise and the moon set near the same time. After cooking a quick breakfast, I went on a couple of short hikes. It was Christmas Eve morning. I chose not to stay too long as I was eager to get back and spend time with family for Christmas. It was a short trip, but a re-energizing one...

No comments:

Post a Comment