Saturday, July 11, 2009

Food Prep

From what I've read, some people really love preparing for trips like the John Muir Trail. They enjoy the research, making lists, charts, and graphs. Some people enjoy finding ways to shave every last ounce of unwanted weight off their packs. Some use scales and computers to achieve this goal. Some people will analyze each day on the trail and figure out elevation gain and loss and how many calories they will burn and how much food will be needed to counterbalance the energy loss. I, on the other hand, despise that sort of planning and information gathering and would rather go see the dentist or the barber. I am a procrastinator at heart, and this trip has been no different. I've already been denied a permit in Yosemite because I waited too long to order one. Thankfully, Yosemite issues 40% of their permits to walk ins. As a result, it looks like I will have to wait outside the permit office at 3 in the morning to ensure a successful departure. Anyways, I'm trying to fight my procrastinating nature and get my food prep done before the 14th, and mail my food packages by the 21st. At first, I was a little worried about my food choice, especially when I could feel the pounds adding up. After doing a little more research this afternoon, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm making good choices. It seems like I'm spending a lot more money than I would have liked, but ultimately, I don't tend to worry about that. A little more than 2 weeks to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment