Saturday, March 21, 2015

World's Largest Totem Pole McKinleyville/Fieldbrook Stumps



One of many
It's amazing how getting out of a car and walking around allows one to see so much more. This past week I was getting an oil change in McKinleyville and decided to walk around while I waited for my car to be ready. I noticed a 160 foot tall totem pole for the first time, carved out of redwood in one of the parking lots in town. I've driven through the town dozens of times and had never seen it before. This morning I stopped by to take a few pictures.

After snapping a few photos of the totem pole, I decided to stop by the town of Fieldbrook. It's been several months since I've been there. I wanted to see some redwood stumps. Even knowing what to expect I still felt stunned today driving through there. That valley must have held one of the grandest stands of redwoods of our age. Now, one can only imagine what it once looked like. The stumps are gigantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment