Sunday, December 30, 2012
Montgomery Woods 12-29-12
Montgomery Woods State Natural Reserve (SNR) is named for nineteenth century pioneers Andrew and Elizabeth Montgomery, who homesteaded 160 acres here. In 1919, plans were made to harvest the trees in the Montgomery Grove. Ynes Mexia brought the grove to the attention of Save the Redwoods League. Within a year, the League managed to halt the harvest. It took another 25 years before the trees were permanently protected. Land owner Robert Orr donated 9 acres in 1945. Over the next 65 years, the park grew to over 2,700 acres. Today, California State Parks works with partners to restore the land and water that flow through the groves and protect the trees from ongoing threats.