Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CDT Planning: March 20, 2013

Wyoming Delorme Gazetteer with Ley routes highlighted
I have transcribed the Jonathan Ley routes into both my Montana and Wyoming Delorme Gazetteers. This morning I worked on Colorado for about an hour and a half before work. I am feeling more comfortable with the 8 1/2 x 11 in maps.  Circling the prominent features is really helping my mental state. Also, I've been circling some really hard to read names of trails, creeks, and roads. Sometimes, just the shape or one or two letters of the word can be deciphered. Circling them and confirming them in the Gazetteer will decrease my stress once out on the trail I hope. I have to remind myself to take advantage of the comfort of sitting at a desk and studying the individual maps now, rather than trying to figure them out while outside in a thunderstorm while on the trail later. Of course, I can always just print out the larger maps before beginning this hike if I really don't feel comfortable. It seems an hour and a half is about the amount of time I have the most focus with this transcribing process. After an hour and a half or so, the temptation to cut corners seems to enter my mind. When this happens, I know it's time to stop, take a break, or do something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment