Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Winter Reprieve

Couldn't ask for nicer winter days along the North Coast
Big Stump: HRSP
Large redwood with poison oak vines 
Space shuttle redwood
Calm, sunny days (for the last week and a half) have been a nice contrast to the relentless late autumn rains. I bought a new digital camera last week for my upcoming Appalachian Trail hike. It's a Nikon Coolpix 20.1 megapixel point and shoot. I like the way pictures are turning out, a step up from my last camera.

Last night on the way home from work, I decided to stop by the Avenue of the Giants for a moment before the full moon came up. I have forgotten just how dark the forest gets at night. When I turned off my car and shut off the lights, a small wave of anxiety entered my being when I stepped away from my vehicle. It was pitch black. I could easily imagine getting disoriented just a few feet away from one's vehicle, and being unable to find it. It was that dark! I believe the rains are returning on Friday...

No comments:

Post a Comment