Friday, July 2, 2021

Hiking The C&O Canal 2021: (Day 1) June 17

Took the Red Line to DC

Supreme Court Building

Capital

Smithsonian Building

African American Museum

White House

WWII Memorial and Lincoln Memorial

WWII Memorial and Washington Monument


On the steps of the Lincoln Memorial

Near Vietnam Memorial


Potomac River. Home for the next 12 days.

Looking towards Georgetown and mile 1.

Watergate Hotel

Georgetown

Beginning of the C&O Canal

Green Heron



Heading North

Lunch at Fletcher's Cove


Old Historic Lockhouse


Great Blue Heron

Only saw one of these birds entire hike. He was in the same spot as 2 years ago and I'm assuming its the same bird.



Cicadas were constant companions, although their "day in the sun" was winding down. Lots of carcasses lined the route.



Stealth camp for the night.

 The historic school year of 2020/2021 came to a close on June 16th and it was time to put the hiking backpack back on the following day. It was also time to awaken from the quarantine slumber and begin taking some risks again. I chose to hike the length of the C&O towpath for the second time in 3 years, a 12 day, 185 mile journey along the Potomac River from Georgetown to Cumberland Maryland. Logistically, its so easy, which is a big bonus in my book. Also, I really like the idea of continuing to connect to my home ecosystems. 

I felt better prepared the second time around, and I wanted to make sure I was not just duplicating my trip from 2 years ago. For the most part, I feel like I succeeded, although there were some days that almost felt identical.

Day 1 was one of those days. I was aiming for the same place I camped 2 years ago, because there just aren't many options otherwise. The first hiker/biker campsite was 16 miles north, after hiking through DC after getting off the metro would add another 3 to 4 miles making it a near 20 mile first day. I physically can't to do that. So the spot I aimed for was several miles before that.

My dad gave me a ride to the metro and other than having to buy a new fare card, everything was a cinch. In just under a half hour, I was stepping outside the metro station (I chose China Town this time instead of Union Station to shave off a mile or so) and was walking towards the monuments on a perfect, low humidity summer day. I taped my feet before I left my house and applied sunscreen on the backs of my legs and face which turned out to be a great move. I had zero blisters or foot issues this hike, nor sunburn.

The day unfolded without much fanfare. It was nice walking past the monuments. It was nice walking north on the canal. My body felt pretty good all things considered. I did struggle with some blues by the afternoon. Actually I struggled with the blues, mostly in the late afternoons, almost the entire hike, but I guess it's to be expected hiking solo. I was curious how hard they would hit now that I'm getting older, and I have to say they still hit harder than I expected, but at least now I know. I don't think they will ever go away hiking solo, no matter how old I get.

Found a nice spot along the river to rest in the afternoon. By early evening, I found my campsite. I ate an unappetizing dinner of instant mashed potatoes, and felt pretty congested trying to fall asleep, mostly from day 1 dehydration which almost always happens to me. I fell asleep to the sound of nearby road traffic and the occasional helicopter flying down the Potomac towards DC...

No comments:

Post a Comment