Sunday, July 11, 2021

Hiking the C&O Towpath: (Day 5) June 21

Brunswick
Resupply at the Dollar General
Back on the AT for three miles
Entering the beautiful Appalachian Mountains
Arriving in Harpers Ferry
Crossing the bridge into town for ice cream
Delicious strawberry milkshake on 90 degree day
Rafting the Shenandoah River and the spot where Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers merge
One of the nicest "beach" spots in my opinion. Looking South towards Harpers Ferry.
Old bottle top
Walk too fast and miss a secret gnome
Big rain and thunderstorm arrive
peaceful post storm
Camp for the night: Antietam Creek campground

Woke up in the morning after sleeping decently at the Brunswick Family Campground. No one else awake it seemed. I packed up my stuff, and finished recharging my phone and camera batteries at the Pavilion while eating breakfast. I made reservations at the Antietam Creek campground (about 15 miles away) to camp for the night for $20.  Got inspired to take a shit in the porta potty in the center of the campground. I know it sounds silly, and I only mention them because these are MAJOR moral boosters. Once recharged I hit the towpath and then slipped into the town of Brunswick to resupply at the Dollar General. Thankfully, it was still overcast so the heat had yet to pick up. By the time I resupplied, clouds were burning off and the heat began to increase. Before long I was back on the towpath, feeling good. Completely recharged.

I was satisfied how my body was feeling. I was doing ok mileage, less stressed than 2 years prior, but pretty much on the same timeline. My feet felt great, again thanks to pre-taping them before beginning the trip. Not a single hot spot or blister. 

As the morning began to heat up, I enjoyed the walk into Harpers Ferry and welcomed the beginning of the mountains. Found a great spot to jump in the river for a bit and cool off before joining the crowds around Harpers Ferry. Joined up with the good ol AT for three miles, when the AT merges with the towpath. I debated skipping crossing the footbridge into Harpers Ferry for ice cream, but as the heat increased and my mood remained stable, I quickly rid my mind of such silly ideas. Ice cream sounded wonderful.

Once I crossed the footbridge, the ice cream shop still had about 15 minutes before opening. There was a couple with their two kids biking the towpath from DC to Pittsburg who were also waiting for ice cream and we chatted a bit. I ordered a strawberry milkshake and found a quiet shady spot to enjoy it. 

For the second consecutive time, in almost the exact same spot, while crossing the footbridge back to the towpath, someone mistook me for an AT thru hiker, and had an almost identical verbal exchange.

"Hey, you are half there!" an older man exclaimed to me.
"No, I'm hiking the towpath to Cumberland!" I responded.
"Ohhhhhhh" the man replied, (in the most disappointed tone.)

North of Harpers Ferry, the Potomac River really begins to mellow out. Before that, I took a nice long break in what may be one of my favorite spots on the canal. A large "beach" area with views south towards the mountains and Harpers Ferry. After my break, it was getting real hot, but storm clouds began to gather, and the rumble of thunder increased behind me.

Minutes before skies really opened up, I stopped to put on my pack cover and take out my hiking umbrella. Then the storm came.

My umbrella worked well, at the same time, I had to marvel at how even in the dead of summer, after a 90 degree day, rain can be quite chilly. I could feel my body temperature drop. I was still in shorts and short sleeves, my umbrella was keeping my upper body dry, but I was still on the verge of getting chilled. The rain really brought out the bright greens of the forest. The trees and plants were radiant.

Eventually the rain subsided and I was entering camp for the night at Antietam Creek campground. It was the perfect hiking distance for the day, which is why I was more than happy to depart with 20 bucks for the night. 2 years ago, the campground was packed, I didn't make reservations, and ended up on an evening death march looking for a spot to stealth camp. This time however, another lesson in "a different trip offering different gifts".  The campground had maybe one or two different campsites occupied, and one large scout group, but they were on the opposite side of the strip. My side was quiet and vacant. A perfect way to end the day. After setting up camp, I made dinner and was soon drifting to sleep to the rumble of thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment