Saturday, July 10, 2021

Hiking the C&O Towpath: (Day 4): June 20th

Morning breakfast spot

Big Maple


Maryland's largest tree: Sycamore



Monocacy Aqueduct






Point of Rocks

Delicious cold cut subs


Magical swim/bath spot


Restored aqueduct





Camp for the night: Brunswick Family Campground

Potomac Evening

 Day four was another good reminder to take things as they come and not to expect a repeat hike of two years ago. Places where powerful memories were formed two years ago might not offer any meaning, and places missed two years ago, new memories were created. It was important not to hype up my expectations for certain spots, only to be disappointed. But I had to learn that lesson first. 

I slept pretty good during the night, despite having an ongoing issue with fluid in my ear, and a loud chorus of frogs, owls, and other night birds singing at all hours, and a quick thunderstorm passing through. I was packed up and on trail by 7:00 am. It started warming up fast and I had to jump in the river to cool off after my morning snack. Highlights were visiting Maryland's largest tree, and crossing over the Monocacy Aqueduct. I noticed people were very friendly on this trip. I don't remember that from two years ago, but a lot more people said hello and struck up conversations this time around.

I took a nice swim in the afternoon when it really started heating up. A real peaceful spot where the current was non existent surrounded by rocks creating large pools and just enough water movement to keep them fresh, or at least the appearance of fresh. I was in Point of Rocks and stopped by the sub shop to get a cold cut sub for dinner later. Each town stop, it was tough to gage the mask wearing culture of the area. It was such a mixed bag. I put on a mask on to order, the cook and cashier wore masks, but none of the customers at the time were wearing them. 

By evening I reached the Brunswick Family Campground where I eagerly awaited a quiet camp spot in the grass, and a nice shower to clean up like two years ago. This year, however, it was a totally different scene. The place was packed. I had never seen it this crowded before. I had to pick a muddy campsite surrounded by other campers, and the bathrooms were a disaster. I didn't even bother with a shower because I was a little worried about Covid, especially with the high usage, and state of the toilets. Maybe it was just a busy day, or more people are using campgrounds with the pandemic. But I was definitely more stressed this time, than relaxed this year. So a place I was really looking forward to recharging the batteries so to speak, ended up doing the opposite. Again, it was a reminder that this was a different trip, and to just take things as they come...

No comments:

Post a Comment