Thursday, September 3, 2009

Snow Day

There was a rare winter storm that rolled through the Sierra's on August 6th. There were lots of rumors on the trail as to how severe it was going to be. Fortunately, I received accurate information from a couple of brothers who had hiked 20 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to where I was camping at Garnett Lake. They had listened to a weather report the day before and said it was most likely going to be a 24 hour event. That was indeed true, but it was still a little unsettling to get snow in August.


Here's an excerpt from my journal on August 7, 2009:






I woke up at 6:00 AM and it looked as though the cold front had passed. I was wrong. By 7:00 AM storm clouds rolled back in and it started snowing. It snowed off and on all day yesterday, mostly flurries. At one point during the hike, I stopped to take a rest and looked above me. Water droplets were clinging to the pine branches reflecting the light from the sun's beams like jewels. All the while, blue skies mixed with white clouds passed overhead while another batch of flurries fell gently to the forest floor. A wonderful moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment