Friday, August 17, 2018

Glacier National Park (Day 7) July 13


July 13th was another perfect sunny day in Glacier National Park. It was our last day on trail. We only had about 9 miles to hike to the US/Canadian border where our hike would end, and it would be mostly "flat." We also were going to have to hitch hike back to East Glacier once we were finished since shuttle rides no longer exist from the Chief Mountain Trailhead. I was a little worried about this because I remember there being very little traffic along that border crossing road last time I was there.

photo by Camo
The mornings hike went without incident. It was a really nice hike through thick vegetation at first and then opened up to wildflower filled meadows flanked by giant mountains. I was taken back to my first day on the CDT in 2013 when I had just begun my southbound thru hike. I remember being so nervous that first day, and couldn't believe where I was. Once again, this time around, the mountains felt so peaceful and inviting, the weather perfect.


Camo and I finished the hike around 1:00 or so. We arrived at the Chief Mountain parking lot. Sure enough there was very little traffic. We could see the border station checking vehicles as they crossed the border. Thankfully, Camo and I didn't have to wait too long, maybe 45 minutes to an hour before a young guy from Canada picked us up. He was able to drive us about 45 minutes to the town of Babb on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.  After dropping us off, Camo and I had a couple conversations with people around town. One guy thought we were CDT thru hikers. We said we weren't. He said "Oh," and then drove off. Another family was with there son who had hiked the Appalachian Trail last year. Another husband and wife had just tried driving into Many Glacier and were turned around at the entrance booth because the park was too crowded there. Anyhow, Babb was a good place to hitch, since there was plenty of traffic, much of it seemed to be revolving around the park. Camo and I stood on a corner and within minutes a man driving an empty school bus told us to jump in as he was heading to East Glacier.

Waterton International Peace Park (photo by Camo)
It was a scenic ride on the school bus as we drove through the eastern foothills of the Rockies in the Blackfeet Indian reservation. About an hour later, we arrived in East Glacier. Camo and I treated our driver to lunch at a nice little burger joint in town. After lunch, Camo and I booked a couple more nights at Brownies hostel. Another hike completed...

No comments:

Post a Comment