Thursday, August 9, 2018

Glacier National Park (July 8): Day 2

Old Man Lake (photo by Camo)
 Thankfully after the previous day's "death march," Camo and I had a short mile day for day 2 of our itinerary. We would be hiking from Old Man Lake to Atlantic Creek, only about 7 miles total. This allowed us to sleep in and get some well deserved rest, as well as take our time throughout the day.
Old Man Lake (photo by Camo)
After breakfast, I walked down to Old Man Lake and took in the stunning view. It was another blue bird day Glacier, and the air had that crystalline look to it. There were yellow lilies blooming all around the lake. It appeared as though snow had recently melted and the lake was rejoicing in spring.

We also had our first pass of the day-Pitamakan Pass. I was still unsure of the snow situation in the park and was anticipating some snow fields that we would have to navigate across. In 2013, I hiked through Glacier about a week earlier and encountered plenty of snow, especially on the passes.

Pitamakan Lake
Pitamakan Lake (photo by Camo)
After packing up, Camo and I hit the trail. I was feeling pretty good for all intents and purposes, the double dose of Ibuprofen reduced whatever swelling I had in my shins and knees from the day before. We began climbing towards Pitamakan Pass. We both began sucking for air fast, having to stop to rest numerous times. Thankfully there was no snow to worry about, just a fantastic view to take in. Pitamakan Lake below was stunning, the color blue resembled Crater Lake. Once we crossed the pass, Camo and I enjoyed a long break next to the lake.

What a spot to take a break. Pitamakin Lake (photo by camo)

Looking for mountain goats at Morning Star Lake. (photo by Camo)
The rest of the afternoon rolled along nicely. We took another break near Morning Star Lake. I was thankful for the perfect weather we were experiencing so far. We rolled into camp at Atlantic Creek later in the afternoon. It was buggy there. The campsites are designed to cook your food away from where you camp to minimize bear problems. We met another hiker at the cooking area who was hiking northbound through the Rockies through Canada on the Great Divide Trail through the summer. Due to the mosquitoes, Camo and I called it an early night, there was no sense hanging around. I was thinking about Triple Divide Pass which we would be crossing the next day. I was worried a little about possible snow fields to cross up there...

No comments:

Post a Comment