Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Glacier National Park (July 12) Day 6

View south from the Ptarmigan Tunnel (photo by Camo)
Camo and I woke up, and packed up our gear from the tiny cabin at Swiftcurrent Lodge at Many Glacier. Our hiking destination for the day was Elizabeth Lake. We had two ways to get there. The first route was a 16 and a half mile trek that would take us over Red Gap Pass, a route I had taken in 2013. Honestly, Camo and I were still in terrible shape, so 16 miles felt really daunting, and not fun. The other route was shorter, 10 and a half miles up and through the Ptarmigan Tunnel, a route I had never seen, and one that had just recently been cleared of snow and was now open. We talked to a ranger the day before in Many Glacier who told us the route was clear. This ranger seemed to know what she was talking about, so we took her advice.

Here I am eating a Snickers on the north side of the tunnel. (Photo by Camo)

It was another perfect day in Glacier and Camo and I met the trail behind the cabin and began the long ascent to the Ptarmigan Tunnel. There were many day hikers also tackling the trek. We slowly passed a few, and a few passed us. Eventually the trail took us from open country to thick spruce forest. We reached an intersection to a trail called Iceburg Lake and it appeared many day hikers were heading there. Soon as Camo and I continued our ascent, the volume of other hikers thinned out dramatically. I was still blown away by the clarity of light, and the perfect weather we were experiencing. The mountains were so friendly and inviting still.
View North towards Elizabeth Lake (photo by Camo)

Ptarmigan Tunnel
After a couple hours, Camo and I finally reached the Ptarmigan Tunnel. Snow was minimal and not an issue at all. There is an actual tunnel at the top, maybe 50 feet or so blasted out of the rock. Views from both sides were stunning. It was so calm at the top, Camo and I enjoyed it for a good 45 minutes to an hour, cooking lunch as well.
Views across the valley to the Skyline Trail and the Adhern Drift. (photo by Camo)


Elizabeth Lake (photo by Camo)
Views along the descent were just as stunning, probably one of my favorite sections of the entire hike. Camo and I took our time before finally reaching the campground at Elizabeth Lake. There were several other backpackers already there resting along the shores of the Lake. After setting up I spent an hour or so also resting along the shores of the lake. Wind was picking up a little, but it kept the mosquitoes away. It was hard to believe Camo and I had only one more day left before we reached Chief Mountain and the end of our hike. It was another memorable day in the Rockies...

No comments:

Post a Comment