Monday, November 22, 2010

Warner Springs



Resupplying in Warner Springs (Getting much needed water from the hose.)



Eagle Rock at sunset
An enjoyable day for the most part. I had a very smooth and relaxing resupply in Warner Springs. It felt a bit strange to have no other hikers around. Town stops usually involve some hangin' out with hiking friends, but obviously everyone had passed through here long ago. I debated whether or not to stop by the actual springs for a soak, but it was too pricey so I decided to carry on.
Most aggravating part of the day was trying to return to the trail. I could not, for the life of me, find where the southbound trail started on the south side of the road. I walked back and forth numerous times, trespassing, cursing, wasting almost an hour wandering around. Finally, I found the trail, resuming under the bridge. Late in the afternoon, strong winds picked up once again. As evening approached, I realized that I was going to have to find a campsite with some shelter, just to escape the wind. Eagle rock provided just the escape I needed. Actually I camped behind a rock outcropping just a hundred feet away or so, and spent the night cowboy camped under the stars.

2 comments:

  1. Nice color of grass with the setting sun. And that Eagle Rock is something. Sort of looks like Rodan is about to take flight!

    I stayed in Warner Springs once. We did an astronomy outreach event, in exchange for a reduced room rate. Too pricey to do regularly. And, of course, if you take advantage of their amenities, the room rate can quickly become a rather small part of your total bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Skyhiker, most of the time, hikers usually team up and share rooms to lower costs. In the past, Warner Springs allowed up to six hikers per room, which really made it worthwhile. I've heard that it's now under new ownership, so I'm not sure if there is a change in policy. That astronomy outreach event sounds cool...

    ReplyDelete